Welcome to Whitestones
   We are so insignificant compared to the size of the known universe. But, we were significant enough for the Creator of the Universe to visit us.
    Register FAQ  •  Login     
It is currently October 18th, 2017, 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Confine replies to commentary or review of the Verses commentary!

Post subject: Mark 13
PostPosted: July 20th, 2009, 8:47 pm 
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: Mark 13
PostPosted: August 4th, 2009, 7:53 am 

Mark 13:23 But take care; see, I have made all things clear to you before the time. (Bible in Basic English) BBE

23So be on your guard; I have told you everything ahead of time. New International Version (NIV)

23 Watch out! I have warned you about this ahead of time! New Living Translation (NLT)

No One Knows the Day or Hour
21-23"If anyone tries to flag you down, calling out, 'Here's the Messiah!' or points, 'There he is!' don't fall for it. Fake Messiahs and lying preachers are going to pop up everywhere. Their impressive credentials and dazzling performances will pull the wool over the eyes of even those who ought to know better. So watch out. I've given you fair warning. The Message (MSG)

23 But take heed; see, I have told you all things beforehand. New King James Version (NKJV)

23"But take heed; behold, I have told you everything in advance.
New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Corresponding verses:-

Mark 13:5 And Jesus said to them, Take care that you are not tricked by anyone.

Mark 13:9 But take care: for they will give you up to the Sanhedrins; and in Synagogues you will be whipped; and you will be taken before rulers and kings because of me, for a sign to them.

Mark 13:33 Take care, keep watch with prayer: for you are not certain when the time will be.

Matthew 7:15
Be on the watch for false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inside they are cruel wolves.

Luke 21:8
And he said, Take care that you are not tricked: for a number of people will come in my name, saying, I am he; and, The time is near: do not go after them.

Luke 21:34
But give attention to yourselves, for fear that your hearts become over-full of the pleasures of food and wine, and the cares of this life, and that day may come on you suddenly, and take you as in a net:

2Peter 3:17
For this reason, my loved ones, having knowledge of these things before they take place, take care that you are not turned away by the error of the uncontrolled, so falling from your true faith.

Christ's prophetic declaration.

Our Lord Jesus, in reply to the disciples' question, does not so much satisfy their curiosity as direct their consciences. When many are deceived, we should thereby be awakened to look to ourselves. And the disciples of Christ, if it be not their own fault, may enjoy holy security and peace of mind, when all around is in disorder. But they must take heed that they are not drawn away from Christ and their duty to him, by the sufferings they will meet with for his sake. They shall be hated of all men: trouble enough! Yet the work they were called to should be carried on and prosper. Though they may be crushed and borne down, the gospel cannot be. The salvation promised is more than deliverance from evil, it is everlasting blessedness. (Mk 13:14-23)

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary on the Bible
http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/commentaries/Matthew-Henry/Mark/Christs-Prophetic-Declaration